What is a Portable Water Filter?
Once you are out of the house, you cannot be certain as to the safety of the water you come by. And since clean and safe drinking water is a basic necessity for human survival, you have to make the extra effort to ensure you get safe water even while on the go. A portable water filter comes in handy in such a situation. Just as the name suggests, portable water filters are water filters that you can use anywhere. They are usually designed to be compact to make them easy to carry with you in almost any location. They function in a way that removes bacteria, sand, and other particulates in the water to make it safe to drink.
Characteristics of a Good Portable Water Purifier
- Good water filters should be able to keep out big particulates like sand and silt, as well as microbes like G. lamblia and E. coli. They should also not have to rely on chemicals to purify the water as these could have some harmful side effects.
- Aside from the technical aspect, a good filter for surviving in the wild would be something compact and light so it would be easy to carry. It should also be easy and hassle-free to use to prevent contamination.
- Water filters should also have little to no waiting time for you to drink the water. You can never tell where or how long a water break may be, so having your companions wait for you while your water is still filtering might delay the whole group.
Benefits of a Portable Survival Water Purification Systems
- As helpful as a water container would be, it is more of a hassle to bring along, quite heavy and bulky when it is full and it takes up space when it is empty. A portable filter on the other hand is very light and easy to carry around.
- Most portable filters are quite easy to use as they do not involve so many technical aspects.
- They are durable and can be used over a long time without breaking or needing replacement.
- They are quite effective ridding your water of any bacteria or protozoa that may be of harm to you.
- They are affordable compared to other alternatives like buying bottled water. They also do not require power or batteries to work and thus making them convenient for use in any location.
Why get the Best Portable Water Filter?
The market today is saturated with different brands and designs of portable filters. Finding an effective one is therefore a daunting task but nonetheless very important. The whole point of using a filter is to rid your water of any harmful elements or micro-organisms. Tap water or water directly from sources like the river and streams could contain thousands of different bacteria like E. coli and cholera, both of which could cause diarrhoea. While diarrhoea in itself does not seem like a big deal, it leads to dehydration which would prompt a person to drink more of the contaminated water, leading to a vicious cycle. Not only that, but dehydration could lead to electrolyte imbalance, which has several side effects like fainting and seizures.
All these conditions then just emphasize how important it is for us to consume clean water. While all of these conditions can be managed in hospital, some of them can become difficult to control overtime thus becoming fatal. Taking clean water spare you from any associated disadvantages and you stay hydrated and healthy and getting an effective portable water filter will help you achieve this.
What is the Best Portable Water Filters in the Market Today?
Below is review of 4 best portable water purifiers which have proven to be the best at what they do. Due to the dynamic nature of the technology new and improved innovations are made and the existing ones improved. We all know the importance of clean uncontaminated water especially in emergency situations, a good survival filter will came in hardy.
LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
The esteemed LifeStraw personal water filter is your ideal companion that ensures you always have clean and safe drinking water regardless of your location. The filter is very light and compact which makes it easy to carry around during activities like hiking, travelling, camping, backpacking or even during emergency preparedness. It is used in the same way as a straw, but you do have to suck a little harder. When dry, it takes a few good draws on the straw to get it going, but, after it becomes much easier just like drinking cola with a straw.
Features and Specifications
- High water flow rate
LifeStraw has a hollow-fibre filter membrane that offers a high flow rate: sip on the straw and it filters the water while it is on the way to your mouth. You do not have to wait or go through complicated procedures. You get clean water there and then whenever you need it. Simply get down close to the stream or lake and use the LifeStraw to drink straight from the source, or fill your water bottle and insert the filter to start sipping.
- Effective 0.2 micron filter
It has a 0.2-micron filter which physically removes 99.9999% of all bacteria, such as salmonella, cholera and E.coli; removes 99.9% of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium. This ensures that the water you are getting is safe so that you stay hydrated and healthy.
- Easy to clean and store
Regularly blowing through the LifeStraw after drinking helps keep the filter clean and prevents clogging. To clean it, suck in clean water and then simply blow water back through the LifeStraw, it is that easy. You could rinse it off occasionally with a bleach water solution just as a precaution (just the outside, not through the filter or inside the unit). To store your unit after use, suck clean water into the unit and blow it out a few times first. Allow to dry for a day with caps open before putting it away.
- Compact and portable
The filter is Ultra-light and weighs only 2 ounces or 57 grams. This makes it easily portable considering it measures only 9” (22.5 cm) long and 1 inch (2.5 cm) in diameter. It comes with a neck cord so that you can wear it around your neck when you do not have pockets to put it in.
- BPA Free
The filter is constructed using impact resistant plastic and patented filter system. All parts are BPA free to guarantee you maximum safety and prevent any associated negative effects.
- Safe, great-tasting water
Water filtered using the equipment has no after-taste since it does not involve the use of any chemicals.
- Allows you drink water directly from water sources like streams and lakes or even from a bottle.
- The LifeStraw filter is able to get rid of 99.9% of waterborne bacteria that includes E.coli and salmonella and waterborne protozoa like Giardia and Cryptosporidium.
- You get to carry it around with ease and without it feeling bulky. It also fits easily in your bag’s pockets or cargo pockets if they are deep enough.
- It is quite an affordable and convenient option to buying bottled water since it does not requires electrical power, batteries to work. It also has no need for replacement parts.
- It can filter up to 1000 litres of water with great efficacy. LifeStraw meets or even exceeds EPA standards for efficacy.
- As you get closer to the end of the LifeStraw life expectancy, it becomes more difficult to suck water through.
- It will not filter out heavy metals, and will not desalinate water. It does not filter out viruses either.
- It is a personal water filter intended for drinking water only. There is no way to filter water for use in cooking or cleaning etc. since the water is drawn by the mouth suction and swallowed directly thereafter.
The LifeStraw water filter is an innovative product that offers a convenient solution for safe drinking water. It gives you value for your money and its small size ensures you have safe and clean drinking water regardless of where you are. It is especially suitable for people that love to engage in outdoor adventurous activities. Moreover, part of the sales proceed is directed towards supporting clean water projects all over the world.
Survivor Water Filter Review
Survivor Filter is a product from North American company with whose simple goal, is to provide people with access to clean water in any environment when they need it most. They offer you the best emergency water filter systems for us e whenever you are on the move. The manufacturers have carried out extensive researched on what works and what doesn’t which is why they make sure that all their products are Tested in North American Labs. This particular filter has been proven to durable, lightweight, and will last you for years on the shelf. While other filters are meant to be used once and thrown out, the Survivor Filter is re-usable saving you time and money.
Features and Specifications
- Triple Filtration System
This is the only personal water filter that consists of an ultra-filter, carbon filter and a particle filter. With this Triple Filtration system, it is able to filter to 0.05 microns. This makes 400% Better Filtration compared to its competitors. Another plus is that the Ultra and Carbon filters are removable and can be cleaned or replaced. Moreover, it comes with 4 extra mesh filters. The first stage is a mesh pre-filter, followed by a medical grade Ultra Filter, and finally a carbon filter. The carbon filter is able to remove dirt, heavy metals, chlorine, and bacteria and has a small electro-positive charge to help attract chemicals and impurities. The Ultra Filter uses hollow fibre membranes to treat the water.
- Reusable and Replaceable filters
There is also no need to throw it out after one trip thanks to Reusable and Replaceable Filters that last up to 264 gallons (1000 Water Bottles) and can then be easily cleaned or replaced as needed.
- Fast water flow rate
The Survivor filter has a super-fast flow rate of 200ml (7 ounces) per minute.
- Quality design and construction
The Easy Flip-On, Flip-Off Mouthpiece Cap allows you keep the filter clean with ease. The compact, sleek design makes the filter feel comfortable in your hands while at the same time it remains easy to carry around. The Survivor filter weighs only 3.5 ounces and easily fits in your glove box, tackle box, knapsack or BUG-OUT bag.
- Survivor Filter believes in their Portable Water Filter so much that they offer a no-hassle 30 days Money Back Guarantee and Ltd. Lifetime Warranty!
- The filter can be used directly from a fresh water source or firmly attached to a Smart Water or Dasani Water Bottle, making the Survivor Filter the most versatile personal water filters straw available.
- It is versatile and can be used for a number of outdoor activities. You can carry it with you when you go for camping, hiking, trekking and fishing. Backpackers, survivalists, preppers and general lovers of adventure benefit largely from this filter as well.
- Other personal water filters are difficult to drink from, the Survivor Filter Personal Water Filter has a Special Mouthpiece, an integrated Cap to keep the mouthpiece clean and produces a SUPER FAST FLOW RATE of 200 ml. (7 ounces) per minute.
- The filter is relatively heavy compared to similar products in the market. This is quite discouraging as most people try hard to minimize their bulk as they move around.
If you are drinking from an unreliable water source, water filtration is extremely important. Water impurities such as viruses, bacteria, and protozoa can be found in lakes and streams and have the potential to make you sick. For someone who plans to spend lots of time outdoors, it is absolutely imperative that they have some sort of water filtration or purification to make sure that they do not contract any illnesses, which may prove debilitating or even fatal. And with its straw shaped design that allows drink directly from the source or attach it to a bottle, the Survivor Filter is a must have. It is definitely worth the buy!
LifeStraw Go Water Bottle with Integrated 1000-Liter LifeStraw Filter Review
The esteemed LifeStraw water filter has now been incorporated into a sports bottle to enable you get access to clean and safe water even while on the go and there is no water source nearby. Simply use the bottle to scoop water from pond, stream or river, and the water will be ready for drinking in no time. Take the LifeStraw Go with you while you go mountain climbing, camping, or travelling to areas with poor water quality. The LifeStraw filter is essentially the most advanced personal water filter to be ever be made in the market today.
Features and Specifications
- Micro-biological water filtration
LifeStraw hollow fibre-membrane water filtration technology has been rigorously tested to surpass EPA standards for casting off harmful is now incorporated into a sleek, durable water bottle. The LifeStraw Go provides you with safe, clean drinking water at just a moment’s notice. Simply fill the 670 ML bottle up from any pond, river or stream and drink from the integrated filter straw when needed.
- BPA-free water bottle
The plastic used to manufacture the equipment is safe and ensures that there is no aftertaste in your water. It uses BPA-free Tritan plastic and food-grade silicone mouthpiece.
- Flip-top bite valve
Features a flip-top bite valve and carabineer for attaching to your backpack. Use the carabineer to glue it on your backpack, or store for your preparedness kit to make sure you have access to protected, clean drinking water in an emergency.
- Great-tasting water
It is made with natural filtration materials that leave no after-taste in your mouth, as you enjoy the clean water. This is made possible because the devices use no chlorine, iodine or other chemicals in its operation.
- Removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria and 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites
Stay hydrated and healthy with safe and clean water free from harmful elements. The filter has the power to get rid of waterborne bacteria, including E. coli and salmonella: it rids the water of waterborne protozoa, including Giardia and Cryptosporidium.
- Reduces turbidity by filtering to 0.2 microns
Filters water down to 0.2 microns without the use of chemicals. After each drinking session, unscrew lid and blow through the LifeStraw® to expel dirty water.
It is easily portable measuring only 9.25” (235 mm) long and 3.14” (80 mm) in diameter. This in addition with to its design makes it convenient for you to carry around.
- The LifeStraw water bottle from is made using strong materials and has the same type of filter embedded within. It thus very durable.
- The filter is able to eliminate bacteria from about 264 gallons of water, all the way down to 0.2 microns.
- It will help eliminate 99.9% of both seen and unseen waterborne protozoan parasites.
- Since no iodine or chemicals are used in this water filtration system, you get zero aftertastes in your water.
- The 23-ounce container that’s guaranteed to be leak-proof therefore there are no messy spills or leaks.
- It has integrated 1000-liter LifeStraw filter can be used to scoop water from any stream, river or pond.
- It is the ideal device for those going camping, hiking or simply enjoying a day, or few days in wild natural environments, as it is very easy to use and carry around.
- The filter is replaceable and the bottle is re-usable.
- When you first use the bottle, you get a chemical taste in your water. This taste is expected to go away after a couple of uses though. You can alternatively just be storing water in the bottle and then pour it after a couple of hours. Do this for a number of times to help counter the chemical taste in your water.
This product is ideal for people who are always on the go and look forward to having clean good tasting water whenever. It is an easy and affordable alternative to buying bottled water. The reusable LifeStraw bottle also protects the environment by reducing the amount of plastics released into the environment. The quality bottle can be used for a long time without need for replacement while the filter can be replaced once its lifespan is over. The product offers good value for money and is recommended for just about anyone.
Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System Review
The Sawyer mini just got smaller and lighter. It is by far on of the best portable water filter system. The filter is easy to carry around and remains highly effective in doing its job. Clean drinking water is of great essence, it not only keeps you hydrated, but it also ensures you are safe from water related diseases. Many best portable water purification systems are designed to be used just from one location. However, the Sawyer Mini Filtration system provides you with safe drinking water even while you are on the go. The device is innovatively designed for people on the go taking into consideration a number of useful factors. It is packed with just the right features that make it efficient as well as convenient.
Features and Specifications
- Hollow fibre filter
Hollow-fibre membrane makes it easy to pull the water through the filter as you are sucking it through the straw. The 0.1-micron filter physically removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as salmonella, cholera and E.coli. It also removes 99.9999% of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium.
- Great-tasting water
The taste of water remains unchanged through the Sawyer Mini, it delivers water just as cold and fresh as the stream you may be drinking out of. It does not leave a chemical aftertaste.
The Sawyer mini can be used inline on a hydration bladder. This would require committing a bladder to only be used with the filter for two reasons: you would be putting contaminated water into the bladder, so you would not then want to put clean water in it and drink from it. Secondly, in order to get the filter inline you will need to cut the hose in half, and attach the filter in the middle.
Alternatively, you can screw it onto a small-mouthed water bottle and drink directly from it. The filter comes with one 16 oz. soft bottle, but it will work on any other small bottles as well. This is handy because it allows you to bring water with you between sources.
- Includes a syringe for back-flushing
The syringe back-flushes the system to clear it out and keep the flow strong. It is necessary to backflush it every few days if, especially if you are using it heavily, or it will be difficult to suck water through. This means that you really need to carry the syringe with the filter just in case you’re out more than a few days.
- It is reliable and effective thanks to the 0.1 micron pore size in its hollow fibre membrane filter, the Mini is effective against protozoa, bacteria, and the hard-shelled Cryptosporidium.
- Since it has no moving parts and no batteries, it is less likely to break or not work when you are out in the wilderness and need it most. This makes it quite durable.
- The mini filter is quite light water treatment system. It only weighs 1.4 ounces so that you can always have clean water available without weighing down your pack.
- Sawyer Mini can treat up to 100,000 gallons of water without need for replacement. This means that it is quite durable as it could potentially work for many years, depending on frequency of use.
- The filter does not require power or batteries to work which makes it really convenient and efficient regardless of where one is.
- It can only make enough water for one person and is not suitable for large groups. The only way to treat more water is by carrying dirty water with you in separate bottles.
Get good value for your money with this portable water filter. You cannot underestimate the importance of safe drinking water. If your problem before was finding a solution to cater for your needs while you are on the move, then the Sawyer is just what you need. Using it is very easy and so is its maintenance. Good thing about this filter is that you do not have to wait hours for your water to be ready for drinking. The water is filtered almost immediately. You no longer have to go about drinking untreated water as the solution is right here!
These filters helps get rid of various water contaminants making your water safe for drink. However, there is another option of making water safe for drinking though it will take more time compared to the portable water filters above. This option is boiling water.
Why Should You Boil Water?
The availability of clean water is a challenge to most societies all around the world. Nevertheless, man cannot live without clean and safe water and that is why various methods have been developed to help purify water and make it safe. Boiling is one of the simplest and most affordable ways recommended for making water safe for human consumption. The procedure is basic, which makes it usable to people from all around the world. Simply, all you have to do is take water, put in a clean heat-friendly container, and then expose it to heat for a certain period, until it boils. Thereafter you can let it cool and then use it for drinking.
Water is said to have boiled once its temperatures raises to 100 °C or 212 °F. The issue of water boiling point distinguishes hot water from boiled water. Your water may be hot but not hot enough to have eliminated all micro-organism and in this case still being unsafe. Boiled water on the other hand has to have reached the 100 °C mark and is thus safe for use. Boiling water kills or inactivates viruses, bacteria, protozoa and other pathogens by using heat to damage structural components and disrupt essential life processes (e.g. denature proteins).
Boiling is not sterilization and is more accurately characterized as pasteurization. Sterilization kills all the organisms present, while pasteurization kills those organisms that can cause harm to humans. Cooking food is also a form of pasteurization. For pasteurization to be effective, water or must be heated to at least the pasteurization temperature for the organisms of concern and held at that temperature for a certain period.
Notably, some bacterial spores not typically associated with water borne disease are capable of surviving boiling conditions; these include clostridium, and bacillus spores. But most of the water borne pathogens are inactivated or killed at temperatures below the boiling point. In water, pasteurization begins at temperatures as low as 131°F/55°C for protozoan cysts. Similarly, it is has been observed that one minute of heating to 162°/72°C and two minutes of heating at 144°/62°C will render Cryptosporidium oocysts non-infectious. Studies also report that water pasteurized at 150°F/65°C for 20 minutes will kill or inactivate those organisms that can cause harm to humans…
Water will boil at different temperatures under different conditions. However, these differences are not a significant factor for boil water responses. Water will always boil at 212°F or 100°C. organisms eliminated through boiling include These include: Giardia, Cryptosporidium, Endameba, the eggs of worms, Vibrio cholera, Shigella, Salmonella bacteria, those that cause typhoid, the enterotoxogenic strains of E. coli, Hepatitis A and rotaviruses. You can achieve a 99.999% kill of water borne microorganisms at 149°F/65°C in five minutes of exposure.